Friday, December 9, 2011

A Slyce of Down Home Dirty Blues

Last night, three well spent, musical hours at Slyce Bistro may have changed my life forever. So much of my southern rock’n’roll world was turned upside down, I’m still feeling dizzy. I might believe it’d been a wonderful dream, were it not for the very real red saucy stain left on my sweater (from an out-of-this-world slice of pizza).

Steve Vest is a quietly kept legend of southern rock, as we all know it. Put it this way: when you think “southern rock,” what bands come to mind? Skynard, The Allman Brothers, Grand Funk Railroad, Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers. Steve has played with them all. 

At first, of course I was skeptical that his claims were true. We’ve all met someone who claims to have played with Elvis, or Led Zeppelin, or some other awesome rock your face off kind of gigs. But in the end, it often turns out these guys are full of it, and can’t let go of their garage band glory days. 

This is definitely not the case with Steve Vest. As I sat in the little bistro, he regaled stories and details that could only come straight from a valid source. “We weren’t at the Little Brown Jug the night Ronnie had the gun put to his head,” he told me, of Van Zant’s inspiration for Gimme Three Steps. “We were at the Westside Tavern. But they were close enough together.” He followed this with tales about Gregg and Duane Allman, his days living and playing with them in Daytona, and lots about the Comic Book Club in Jax. Vest even wrote a song about the old bar, which he enthusiastically played for me.

But what was even more convincing than his stories was the way he played his music. Goddamn, can that man pick a guitar. A self-taught player, his fingers still dance nimbly across those strings with the same skill and ferocity of the young man who once opened for Ted Nugent (along with his band, the One Percent).

At the same time, Steve played a few riffs on the harp that’d throw you straight back into the late 60s, when rock’n’roll was making its transition from jam fests in to the mainstream. The passion and honesty that he played with left me with no doubt that this man was for real.

The cheesy grin plastered on my face only became cheesier when I decided to indulge in some of the cuisine offered by chef and owner, Morgan Stringham. And when I say cuisine, I mean I kept it simple and went for a slice of cheese pizza. Why not start with the basics, eh?

Now, I like to consider myself a professional pizza connoisseur (I make a pretty damn good one myself), but WOW this stuff is good. I’m talking full slices of fresh garlic, and what I can only believe is uber fresh cheese, kind of good. Cooked to crispy, melty perfection.

This place is on point, and this girl is in love. Pizza lover though I am, I’m definitely going back to get in on some of this bistro action. The too-sweet and gorgeous girl, Melissa, who waited on us informed me that they’ve got pumpkin-ricotta ravioli. I’m not sure that combination is even legal.

So, do yourself a favor this weekend. Stop in at Slyce Bistro and Pizzeria, grab a bite to eat (or a glass of made-from-scratch eggnog!) and take in the tunes and tales of Steve Vest. You can find him jammin’ out at Slyce (just off NE 25th Street in Ocala, behind the old Albertson’s) Every Thursday, Friday, and Saturday night from 8 til midnight. He’ll rock your socks off with some classic favorites and his own originals. You’ll leave with a happy belly and a satisfied soul, guaranteed.


Find Slyce online at slycebistroandpizzeria.com or go to their Facebook page.

follow me on the twitters @iamjennad

2 comments:

  1. Not that it matters anymore, but....your write up should have stated Ronnie Van Zant of One Percent. Not Ted Nugent.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not that it matters anymore, but...

    Your write up should have said Ronnie Van Zant of One Percent, not Ted Nugent.

    ReplyDelete