Monday, December 12, 2011

Really Living for the Weekend

Going out of town for a weekend sure makes Monday hard to come back to. This is especially so if you weren't ready for the weekend to end. 
This past weekend, I spent some time in Melbourne, Florida. I know, on the surface that doesn't seem all too exciting. And to be quite honest, I didn't get into any shenanigans crazier than usual, but it was nice to experience a little bit of "out of the ordinary." I didn't know the streets, the bars, or every other person I encountered. Being away from your familiar is a great way to clear your mind, if only for a few days. The only familiarity I needed this weekend was the company I was keeping. Really, that's all I think I needed for the weekend; face time with someone who reminds me of a time when life was simpler. For a few short days, I remembered what it was like to feel as if nothing matters but the beer I'm drinking.
We spent Friday night ignoring the rain, bar hopping down the main strip in downtown Melbourne. After what was definitely enough dark beer, we got the most awesome ride home ever, from a Zingo designated driver. These guys hang out by the bars with scooters that they can fold up and stick in your trunk. They drive you home in your own car (eliminates the annoying task of retrieving it the next morning), grab their scooter, and scoot away. Coolest ever. A little pricier than a taxi, but definitely worth it, if for no other reason than to say it happened. I think scooters are hilarious. I would never drive (ride?) one myself, but I draw more amusement than I should from seeing someone else buzzing around on one. I guess the last laugh is on me though, because they're getting better gas mileage. 
Since the rain continued well into Saturday afternoon and evening, I got to spend an entire day and most of the night doing ABSOLUTELY NOTHING. When you're used to constantly having something on your to-do list, sometimes it's good to kick back and watch TV until your eyeballs fall out. It's also nice to just sit and enjoy the company of the person you're with. 
I got to experience quite the assortment of at home cinema. First up was a little bit of Stephen Fry in America; a BBC television series which taught me that the Brits think all Americans like to dress up as chickens. Thanks, internet.
I got more of a culture shock than I could've hoped for with this next one though. A documentary exists on Netflix called The Wild and Wonderful Whites of West Virginia. And holy mother eff. I ain't never. I guess I'm a lot closer to that culture than I know (hello, Ocala National Forest), but it was for real some shit. If you want to feel better about yourself, watch this. It's no wonder the rest of the world thinks Americans are a bunch of lunatics.
Will Ferrell in Elf. Way too funny. image from imdb.com
30 Minutes or Less was up next. Nothing to write home about, but I always enjoy a little Danny McBride action. Elf and National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation made their appearances; standard toppings for holiday-time cable, but always enjoyable. Both of those movies are so stinking hilarious. Throw in a little eggnog, and it's a guaranteed good time. Good clean fun. Up until then at least...
Long story short, I've found a weekend formula that makes a lot of sense. Get out of town + 1 night out + 1 night in + the best company = a solid, well balanced weekend. Just be ready for reality to hit you extra hard on Monday. 
I'm already looking forward to a repeat.


follow me on the twitters @iamjennad

No comments:

Post a Comment